Thursday, July 25, 2013

Balance & Women...

I've never thought of myself as a feminist. As a matter of fact, I still like to have my doors opened for me and the chair pulled out for me at dinner. Does that make me a feminist? No, not exactly. However, as a woman, I know of the difficulties that we face and I take a stand for what should be equal.

Habit 2, 'Begin With the End in Mind' centers around developing a personal mission statement or philosophy. At the core of my {{developing}} mission statement is balance. Balance is a very difficult thing for women, especially me.

Sandberg's TED talk, 'Why we have too few women leaders' really struck a cord with me. I'm going to 'put myself out there' in this post, or as you would say Dr. Sterken, find my voice. I've blogged before...it was just a silly fashion blog, but never about personal items because I am pretty private about my private life. I know what my voice is, I just frankly don't like vulnerability, and I feel publishing one's thoughts makes them more vulnerable. However, I feel inclined to open up on this particular subject...

In April, I learned that I was pregnant. While pregnant, I was doing EXACTLY what Sandberg discussed in her TED talk: I was leaving before I even left. How embarrassing! It's like I mentally checked out on vacation for a while. I was making decisions too far in advance. {{By the way, it'd be interesting to learn if this phenomenon happens to men who are expecting a baby.}}

In late June, I learned that I had lost the baby to a miscarriage. It's taken some time to bounce back, but I've dived into my career once again, am one of the 7% who negotiate for their salary, and am enjoying my career more now than I ever have before.

How does Sandberg's TED talk relate back to Covey's 7 Habits? For me, this talk directly correlates back to balance which is at the heart of Habit 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment